[vorbis] Win32 multiple file tag editor?

Glenn Maynard g_ogg at zewt.org
Wed Dec 26 02:38:32 PST 2001

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 03:32:52PM +1300, Ross Levis wrote:
> I can't seem to find a comment editor for Windows to add comments to
> multiple OGG files.
>
> I need to add the same artist, album, date, genre and general comment to
> each track of an album.  Preferably also scan the filename to pick up
> the title and track number.  The editors I've found only support single
> file editing at a time and it can take so long.  I currently use a
> Windows shell extension MP3EXT for MP3's and it only takes about 30
> seconds to tag a whole album.
>
> Has anything been written that I've missed?

I wrote the beginnings of such a tool for ID3V2 tags.  It's not too
useful--it's in VB (week-long project to learn the language), it's
id3v2, not ogg, incomplete and unstable.  But the UI design came out
exactly as I'd intended it to, and might be useful to someone doing
this.  (I don't know how the shell extension worked, but doubt the UI is
useful to anyone wanting to write a standalone editor.)

The UI has no provisions for multiple instances of the same tag, nor
for adding a tag in more than one language (the former is important for
ogg but not id3v2; the latter is important to me but not supported by
either.  Are there only two of us who would like to see native support
for tag translations?  It seems to be a very useful feature that would be
quite impossible to add *cleanly* as a separate unit from the main tags--it'd
mean having a separate tag format for it, which brings back some of the
nightmares of id3v1/id3v2.)

Adding repeated-tag is tricky (what do you do when one file has A, one has B,
and another has A and B?  I can visualize an interface, but it wouldn't be
pretty.)  I havn't given any thought to multiple-language.  This type of
interface isn't needed much, so there isn't much to mimic (which is a
reason I'm offering what I have.)

(I didn't use it or finish it--id3lib was unstable when I wrote it and
may still be, so I wouldn't even use it seriously myself; and I'd had
more than enough of VB, whose error handling is fairly identical to
classic BASIC yet supports inheritance.)

http://zewt.org/~glenn/ed1.gif
http://zewt.org/~glenn/ed2.gif
(Sorry, I don't feel like finding PNG tols at 5:40 AM.)

If anyone wants the whole program--source, binary or both--let me know.

--
Glenn Maynard