[vorbis] New Winamp release

Maik Merten maikmerten at gmx.net
Wed Dec 19 13:31:38 PST 2001

Jack Moffitt schrieb:

> > <paranoia>
> > Perhaps is AOL Time Warner ("content provider") just not too
> > interested in supporting formats without copy protection.
> > </paranoia>
>
> Sure, that's why winamp still plays mp3s and mods and whatnot.

A player-app not supporting MP3 is of no use for most of the users.
Nullsoft hasn´t got the choice not to ship with a MP3-decoder.

Introducing a brilliant, but widely unknown format sadly is a
different thing.

> More likely is:
>
> 1) the lawyers are holding everyone up
> 2) the winamp team doesn't much care
>
> Peter said before some legal stuff was holding up the stuff.  I suppose
> we should just screw all this winamp nonsense and finish the realplayer
> plugin and polish the wmp plugins.

I had no idea you are _that_ disappointed of the Winamp-team.
But please keep in mind that Winamp by far is the most used
audio-player on Windows-machines. We can´t ignore it even if
it ignores us.

Having plugins for RealPlayer and WMP surely is a nice thing but
I don´t know anyone seriously using them for audio - video is
something different. RealPlayer "basic" is not very functional
and WMP... well... it´s ugly (IMHO) and AFAIK there are no "cool"
plugins. Did I mention it´s from Microsoft? No chance they will
ever support Ogg!

> jack.

bye,

Maik Merten