[vorbis] WMA Pro vs.. Ogg Vorbis - Hurry up, guys

Chris Hanson cmh at bDistributed.com
Sun Dec 16 14:17:58 PST 2001

At 3:10 AM -0800 12/16/01, Christian Buchner wrote:
>If this were available as an ACM codec, people might prefer to use
>Ogg Vorbis instead of WMA Pro for encoding their movie audio (from
>DVD). The main application I see for end users is of course to
>encode the soundtrack for DivX ;-) movies. What else would you use
>5.1 for?

What do you mean, what else would someone use 5.1 for besides
pirating movies?  How about producing high-quality content, or
delivering high-quality content they produced?

Vorbis can span the gamut from low end to high in one CODEC without
massive changes.  That and its patent- and royalty-free nature are
its greatest strengths, and what will make it attractive to content
producers over the long run.  Trying to make it the premiere audio
CODEC for movie pirates won't do that.

   -- Chris

--
Chris Hanson                      |  Email: cmh at bDistributed.com
bDistributed.com, Inc.            |  Phone: +1-847-372-3955
http://bdistributed.com/          |  Personal Email: cmh at mac.com