[vorbis] (Classical) Request for Standardization of expandedTAGS

John W. F. McClain pdp8 at mediaone.net
Thu Dec 13 19:54:58 PST 2001

"Nathan I. Sharfi" wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Jonathan Walther wrote:
>
> IIRC, that's the default behavior. You can change the separator, but it
> breaks down if you're trying to generate "Crosby, Stills, and Nash" from
> three PERFORMER tags. This is where ARTIST makes for a good dump point for
> human-formatted compound data, and is why I'm not advocating that it be
> dropped like a sackful of beans anytime soon ;)

I wonder if would not be better to have a DISPLAY tag that has no
semantic
meaning besides "this is what I want the player to display while playing
this".

I do think the ARTIST tag should be kept for the reasons you described
previously, that if you go to all this trouble to differentate performer
from composer from conductor from etc. that you don't want to pollute
the PERFORMER tag by assuming CDDB's (or whatever) artist == PERFORMER.