[vorbis] Re: PROPOSAL: Sub-Tagging

Segher Boessenkool segher at chello.nl
Sat Dec 8 17:33:25 PST 2001

Jonathan Walther wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 01:58:09AM +0100, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> >"The comment field is meant to be used much like someone jotting a quick
> >note on the bottom of a CDR. It should be a little information to
> >remember the disc by and explain it to
> >others; a short, to-the-point text note that need not only be a couple
> >words, but isn't going to be more than a short paragraph. The
> >essentials, in other words, whatever they turn out to be."
> >

> >As long as your proposal doesn't meet this in letter and/or spirit, it will
> >always be rejected.
>
> You personally may feel that the proposed revision doesn't meet the
> spirit.  It will soon be time for a vote.  Many people have posted to
> the effect that they also feel the need for such a proposal.

We'll see.

> Notice the last part of that paragraph you quoted.  "The essentials, in
> other words, whatever they turn out to be."  Time has passed, and many
> of have realized that we need an extended standard to properly cover the
> essentials.

That's not how I read it.  I read it as "whatever they turn out to be
*per each individual stream*".

> You would make a poor anarchist;

What makes you think I want to be / claim to be an anarchist?

> absence of compulsion by external force
> isn't the same as refusal to even consider cooperating with others via
> societal norms and decorum.

As hard as I try, I can't make sense of that last paragraph.  And I don't
want to talk politics with you, anyway;  certainly not here, as it would be
WAY offtopic.