[vorbis] (Classical) Request for Standardization of expanded TAGS

Nemo - earth native nemo at cheeky.house.cx
Thu Dec 6 20:59:19 PST 2001

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 05:05:11PM -0800, Jonathan Walther did utter:
> On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 11:22:11AM +1100, Nemo - earth native wrote:
> >Back on topic, what is the purpose of storing DISCID here?
> >Is it to provide a method to lookup the freedb database? In that case
> >you would be best advised to store the freedb genre as well. (though
> >not vital)
>
> We do store the freedb genre.  q.v. GENRE tag.

No, you store *a* GENRE tag. there is not guarantee that I've seen
that this will be the *freedb* genre. more likely, it'll be hte id3
GENRE. or, as you so distinctly point out, there can be multiple
GENRE tags. Which one is the freedb genre?  :P

> >The second generation of cdindex.org is musicbrainz.org, and they
> >have their own "MusicBrainz Metadata Initiative" - might it be worth
> >collaborating and making a more commonly accepted wider metadata standard?
>
> What collaboration is needed?  We are pretty close to having what we

Oh, I'm so sorry. Collaboration isn't needed? I was obviously mistaken
in my idea that another group who have the same goal (a standard/pseudo-
standard for music metadata) might have something to contribute. I must
also have been incorrect in my idea that two groups sharing the same
standard would have more influence than two groups competing.

> need for the Ogg format.  However, if the MMI has their own "unique CD
> identifier", what tag should we use for it?  I await your suggestions.

cdindex. Refer to cdindex.org. Maybe I didn't make that clear enough.