[vorbis] (Classical) Request for Standardization of expanded TAGS

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Thu Dec 6 17:05:11 PST 2001

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 11:22:11AM +1100, Nemo - earth native wrote:
>Back on topic, what is the purpose of storing DISCID here?
>Is it to provide a method to lookup the freedb database? In that case
>you would be best advised to store the freedb genre as well. (though
>not vital)

We do store the freedb genre.  q.v. GENRE tag.

>The second generation of cdindex.org is musicbrainz.org, and they
>have their own "MusicBrainz Metadata Initiative" - might it be worth
>collaborating and making a more commonly accepted wider metadata standard?

What collaboration is needed?  We are pretty close to having what we
need for the Ogg format.  However, if the MMI has their own "unique CD
identifier", what tag should we use for it?  I await your suggestions.
Theres no reason not to include such an identifier tag in the standard.

However, I am now thinking that things like ISBN, DISCID, and so forth
wouldn't be default be displayed by ogg123 when playing an oggfile.
Maybe we should add a --display-all-tags switch to the command line.

>another vote for DISCNUMBER here.

Fine, consider it added.

>id3 genres have 80 or so genres? This provides a good selection,
>but runs into the problem of choice. (does Bob Dylan fit into
>folk? rock? blues? country? jazz? ...for any given track any of these
>might apply, or something else yet again)

The genre is set on a track by track basis.  And if it fits more than
one category, by all means, put it in there.  GENRE isn't a singleton
tag.  If you feel that a piece is both blues, and heavy metal, put
two genre tags, like this:

GENRE=blues
GENRE=heavy metal

As for limitations on the GENRE tag, just stick to the id3 categories
and you should be safe.  Or if Musicbrainz comes up with some better
categories, use them.

Jonathan