[vorbis] (Classical) Request for Standardization of expanded TAGS

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Thu Dec 6 20:43:49 PST 2001

On Friday 07 December 2001 17:30, Wilson wrote:
> If you read the message, you'll see that I'm agreeing with the concept of
> subtags.
> I'd rather have one generic "ID" tag with substructures than 50 different
> tags that basically all mean "15 digit number that represents this exact
> disc."
> A profusion of tags that aren't clearly marked as "optional" is just going
> to confuse media player programmers, in my mind.

The problem with the model:

IDTYPE=freedb
ID=[freedbidhashthingy]

is that I really would like to have two or three different peices of 'id'
information in a file at one time - say, the cddb hash and one for cdindex or
musicbrainz or whatever I'd like to migrate to. I'd also like to have both a
remote metadata database tag and an industry standard of the month catalog id
at the same time.

Of course you could accomplish this by simulating subtags like so:

ID_CDDB=whatever
ID_MUSICBRAINZ=somthingelse

John