[vorbis] (Classical) Request for Standardization of expanded TAGS

Wilson defiler at null.net
Thu Dec 6 20:30:15 PST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan Walther" <krooger at debian.org>
To: <vorbis at xiph.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2001 6:46 PM
Subject: Re: [vorbis] (Classical) Request for Standardization of expanded
TAGS

>Good for you.  Maybe you could do us a favor and continue to use mp3
>while you're at it.  You and it seem nicely matched for inflexibility.
>
>Read the previous thread on the topic.  The consensus was that ARTIST
>was meaningless as a tag.
>
>Jonathan
>
>On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 05:25:33PM -0500, Wilson wrote:
>>> This is becoming a mess. Ogg tagging is supposed to be simple, not an
>>> over-the-top latin-language forest of tags like this is becoming.
>>>
>>> Maybe some sub-tagging system would help ?
>>>

>>I agree.
>>I'm never going to use anything other than Artist, Title, Album, Genre,
>>Track#, Year, and Comments.

Thank you for your polite reply. You're an example to us all.
I've read every message on this topic.
Clearly, there is no such thing as a consensus on a mailing list with this
many subscribers.
I won't cry myself to sleep because I filled in the name of the barbershop
quartet in the ARTIST field rather than the ENSEMBLE field.
Also, nowhere in my message did I suggest that we no standardize a bunch of
tag names.
If you read the message, you'll see that I'm agreeing with the concept of
subtags.
I'd rather have one generic "ID" tag with substructures than 50 different
tags that basically all mean "15 digit number that represents this exact
disc."
A profusion of tags that aren't clearly marked as "optional" is just going
to confuse media player programmers, in my mind.

P.S. - Please stuff it.