[vorbis] (Classical) Request for Standardization of expanded TAGS

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Thu Dec 6 16:32:35 PST 2001

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 04:05:18PM -0800, Karel P Kerezman wrote:
>Having said that, my biggest worries with adding new tags at the
>nearly-1.0 stage are compatibility with existing player code and
>existing files

Better to do this now, than after 1.0 when the huge landrush comes in.
Its not that hard to retag existing oggs.

>and how such a project as "tagspace enhancement" might
>distract the developers at a key point in the development cycle. Or, put
>another way, even if the developers want to do this, can they spare the
>time right now to do it right?

Once we get enough concensus, I will submit patches to ogg123, and to
Debians "abcde" program for ripping CD's and turning them into ogg's.
Monty has already said that, in principle, we need something like this.
I don't think it will distract the developers that much.  Most of the
work is for people re-tagging their oggs.  I anticipate this could be
done with some shell scripts.  But because of lack of standard, everyone
will have to customize their own shell scripts.  People have been using
the same tags to mean wildly different things.

The great re-tagging shouldn't be a big deal, because I anticipate that
at the 1.0 release a lot of people will re-rip their oggs to get the
best compression and audio quality possible from the updated code.  As
long as the tools like abcde that do the ripping make it easy, the
changeover will go without a hitch.  In the interim ogg123 can have an
--old-tags command line switch to use the old tag display code.

It'll just be a little work for me fixing the ogg client up to display
the new tags nicely.  All it will require from the developement team is
someone to update the webpage to reflect the standard.

As I currently understand it, the VERSION tag is now undeprecated, but
it should not be used to hold information that belongs in other tags,
such as DATE or LOCATION.

Jonathan