[vorbis] RC2 worse than RC1 and Beta4

Gian-Carlo Pascutto gcp at sjeng.org
Mon Aug 20 16:15:49 PDT 2001

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> Bacchus 13 (bacchus13 at zdnetonebox.com) wrote:
>
> > There seems to be another multiple format test @192kbps on r3mix.
>
> 192 kbps?!?  Damn!  I was hoping for a 96 kbps test....

128kbps was chosen as a bitrate at where flaws would
become obvious to most listeners, but still be acceptable

It's also the most often used bitrate today.

Considering that the results for the sample range
from 2.17 average to 5.0 average the bitrate seems
quite well chosen.

You could estimate (but it is higly unscientific
and I will deny ever having said this) that the relative
ranking of the codecs will be similar as 96kbps is
quite close to 128kbps.

I'm doing a small 192kbps test because I want to know
about where and which encoders become transparent to nearly
everybody even on a hard sample.

--
GCP