[vorbis] Batch-Tagging oggs?

StarTux matthew at psychohorse.com
Mon Aug 20 13:28:42 PDT 2001

Peter Harris wrote:

>>Hello all.
>>
>>Quick question ('Cause I'm famished and have to get something to eat)
>>
>>If I have a batch of files (wave and/or ogg) with a certain naming scheme.
>>Would it be possible for me to write a small nifty (newbie) dos-batch
>>program that could tag those ogg-files (or encode the waves with tags)
>>
>with
>
>>regards to the namin parameters.
>>
>>Let me clarify. I usually encode waves with the naming pattern "Artist -
>>Album - leading zero track number - Track Title" or "Artist - Track
>>
>Title".
>
>>How would I go about either encoding a batch of these waves with tags
>>embedded or tagging the batch og resulting oggs.
>>
>>(Basically I'm wondering if it is possible to make a small tagging program
>>with the same basic tagging scheme as the splendid (IMO) program
>>
>MPTagger)
>
>>Any takers, any suggestions?
>>

>I don't know how you would go about doing that in DOS Shell, but I have been
>doing that with a quick perl script I put together. (See attached). It reads
>all .wav files in the current directory, and runs oggenc once for each one.
>I also use "Artist - Album - Track - Song Title", so it should work for you
>unmodified.
>
>Actually, I have a dual-cpu system, so I run two copies: xlat.pl and
>xlat2.pl each encode half of the songs in the current directory, each in its
>own DOS window. ogg.pl is the one-cpu version.
>
>You can get a Win32 binary of the perl interpreter from www.activestate.com
>
>>What programming language (should I get bold and try to do some first-time
>>programming) would you recommend for such a feat ;-)
>>

>Bash, maybe? (See www.cygwin.com for a Win32 bash). The 'B' in BASIC stands
>for 'Beginner'. It's a good language to start with (and you might even be
>able to find qbasic.exe on your windows install disk). Java-the-language is
>nice in some ways, but I don't like Java-the-VM. Unfortunately, the two seem
>to be tied rather tightly together (although recent gcc has a native backend
>for Java). I'm not familiar with Python or Smalltalk, but I've heard good
>things about them. Perl is nice, but don't try to learn the whole language
>at once.
>
>I'd say, get a good book. I learned things the hard way (reference manuals.
>Ick.), but that doesn't mean you have to.
>
>Let me know how it works out.
>
>Peter Harris
>
> <snip>

I'd say Python, helps you learn how to write good clean code. Oh yes,
time and commitment are paramount too. Multi-tasking whilst learning to
program will not help :-).

Don't think BASIC is such a good idea anymore, especially with easy to
learn, but produce good code languages now available. Perl is harder to
learn as its not so clear, but anyone with exposure to C could probably
pick it up quickest.

Try searching on-line, but if you're like me you mau get more out of a
good book. Try searching on Amazon and then asking around about that
particular book to see how people rate it.

Matt