[vorbis] rc2 channel coupling

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Fri Aug 17 12:08:08 PDT 2001

Hi,

Peter Pawlowski wrote:
> Try this: make encoder invert polarity of right (or left) channel on input
> and listen to output files (at about 128 kbps). I know that I am being
> nasty, but some software uses this kind of trick to produce 'surround'-like
> effects; this stuff causes channel coupling to puke (works fine with RC2
> when channel coupling is disabled, tried with my Winamp output plugin which
> has an option to do that; also works fine with LAME @128kbps and Vorbis
> beta4/RC1). Idea: auto-disable channel coupling when it doesn't gain
> anything.

If 180° phase shift cause problems, this really is important. For
example, Impulse Tracker's "surround" panning plays the original sample
panned left and the inverted version on the right. Although I am always
trying to avoid surround panning in all tunes I want to release as .ogg
(there are much nicer ways to produce that kinda spacey sound in post
production, and some of the tools I use also fuck up with this
180°-phase-shift-stereo effect), one cannot assume that every musician
takes care of it. At least Impulse Tracker, all compatible trackers as
well as players that support .IT and diskwriting can cause these
problems, and that alone affects several thousand users.

Moritz