[vorbis] Vorbis ACM codec

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Aug 16 12:28:18 PDT 2001

> It probably won't haved modes tuned for CBR (don't take me official :)
> but you will be able to easily achieve it (with slightly suboptimal
> quality) by croping packets (forget the term) from higher (to avoid waste
> by padding) VBR bitrates.

VBR will always be the preferred 'native' operating mode.  However, CBR has it's uses and we don't plan to slack on the CBR modes.  They'll be tuned, even if the primary focus is still VBR.

> To have accesptable sync in AVI, one can get away with constant average
> bitrate (that's what is incorrectly usually called CBR).  It will give
> better quality (that's why even "CBR" codecs like mp3 actually do average
> bitrate).  That is supposed to implemented in the future, IIRC.

The constant/average bitrate we implement is still unlikely to be
rigid enough for AVI's [lack of] syncronization.  Really, AVI is a
rigid, obsolete hack that should have died ten years ago.  I have no
reason to ignore AVI support, but I'm not going to let it make my life
miserable.

(The majority of AVIs I've gotten from the net are several seconds out
of sync *with* CBR.  It doesn't make me optimistic)

Monty