[vorbis] Vorbis ACM codec

Beni Cherniavsky cben at crosswinds.net
Wed Aug 15 05:58:16 PDT 2001

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Hongli Lai wrote:

> ----------
> Van: Greg Wooledge <greg at wooledge.org>
> >> BTW how will Ogg Vorbis compare to WMA once it's CBR?
> >
> > Why on earth would you want CBR??
>
> Didn't somebody say that Vorbis will support CBR in the future?

It probably won't haved modes tuned for CBR (don't take me official :)
but you will be able to easily achieve it (with slightly suboptimal
quality) by croping packets (forget the term) from higher (to avoid waste
by padding) VBR bitrates.

> And if Vorbis don't support VBR, then how can I get it working in AVI?

To have accesptable sync in AVI, one can get away with constant average
bitrate (that's what is incorrectly usually called CBR).  It will give
better quality (that's why even "CBR" codecs like mp3 actually do average
bitrate).  That is supposed to implemented in the future, IIRC.

--
Beni Cherniavsky <cben at crosswinds.net>
                 (also scben at t2,cben at tx in Technion)