[vorbis] What to listen for in RC2?

Gian-Carlo Pascutto gcp at sjeng.org
Tue Aug 14 05:28:09 PDT 2001

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Chris Butt wrote:

> I remember a few years back when I used to encode things with BladeEnc at 80
> kbps
> When I listen to them now, they sound horrible, but at the time I didn't
> hear the compression effects.
> What sort of effects does ogg vorbis introduce? In stereo mode I can't hear
> any at 64kbs (although there was a sort of chewed cassette tape effect at
> mono 32kbps)
> I don't want to have to re-encode lots of things in a couple of months
> because I've started hearing the artifacts etc.
> Thanks
> Chris #8)

The ones known for RC2 are pre/postecho, stereo hiss and warbling/flutter
on some occasions.

I have put some problematic samples up on

ftp://sjeng.sourceforge.net/pub/sjeng/vorbis/

For me, none of the current modes is good enough that I am confident
to reencode all my CD's in the knowledge that they will sound ok.

But if you can't tell a 64kbps from the original, something like
128 or 160kbps mode will likely be very good for you even in the
future.

--
GCP