[vorbis] Transcoding listening test

Gian-Carlo Pascutto gcp at sjeng.org
Thu Aug 9 09:23:58 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gian-Carlo Pascutto" <gcp at sjeng.org>
To: <vorbis at xiph.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2001 4:42 PM
Subject: [vorbis] Transcoding listening test

> Third sample, part of 'Bongo bong' (Manu Chao), BladeEnc
> at 160kbps, voice with instruments in background, resulting
> ogg was 118kbps
>
> The sound was horrible. There were strong distortions
> in the voice of the singer which were extremely annoying.

Latest CVS from Monty's branch sounds a lot better on this,
it's still different but doesn't sound that bad.

However, in the background there is an instrument (dunno
how it's called in english, basically shaking grains in
a box) which keeps the rhythm and has one beat/shake that is
louder than the others. After encoding with Vorbis it is
just like the other ones.

I don't know if this is interesting or not, as it's a
decoded mp3 I started with, but if you want to hear it
gimme a tell on IRC.

--
GCP