[vorbis] Split Ogg Files

vorbis at altamente.com vorbis at altamente.com
Mon Aug 6 08:37:41 PDT 2001

I'm sure there are a lot of people who've run into this problem with regard
to ogg files... that is, when recording from live sources you end up with
beautiful, wonderful sounding, brilliant ogg files that might be around 100
Meg for two hours.

Now, if I want to split it into tracks, or remove commercials, what are my
options.  With mp3, there are little programs in windows that allow me to
split by time and that are non destructive to the orginal file, that is,
don't reencode but just split the existing file.

Any work done being done in this area?  I'm sure other radio pirates out
there have run into this challenge.  What have you done to solve the
problem?  ..perl script/shell script with time indexes converted into frame
numbers etc?

Fantastic encoder btw.  As a classical music buff, I've got to encode in
stereo, and mp3 just wasn't efficient enough at lower bitrates to give me
good stereo seperation (due to its psy-acoustic js mode, I imagine).
Looking forward to non-destructive channel coupling in the upcoming encoder
*drool*.

Thanks,
James