[vorbis] Wave editors (was: Reverse player)

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Wed Aug 8 16:11:33 PDT 2001

On Thursday 09 August 2001 02:04, you wrote:
>  > GoldWave (www.goldwave.com) is a wave editor.
>
>  For Windows only, as far as I know. I have a copy. Nice.
>
>  Does anyone know of a good graphical wave editor for Linux/X11? I've
>  tried a few, and they all suck for one reason or another. Sweep crashes
>  left and right. XWave is antique and lacking in features. Audacity seems
>  unwilling to save files in .wav format, or indeed, anything but its own
>  .aup format (though it will happily _load_ .wavs).

You need to export... but it down mixes to a mono sample for no apparently
good reason. Shame, as it was the one with the most potential, if it only had
some good plugins.

I've tried wavesurfer. It uses the snack toolkit, andm, unfortunately, tk for
the GUI, so it's as slow to use as a remote shell on an 80% packet loss link
on my puny cyrix 300 box. Maybe if you have a quad xeon box....

http://www.speech.kth.se/snack/

The toolkit has python bindings, so you might just about be able to write a
real gui for it in the time it takes for the other projects to get their act
together. Back to cooledit for me, I think.

John