[vorbis] Why 64kbps is important

Michael Paine mpaine at htxml.com
Tue Aug 7 15:49:15 PDT 2001

> There are already several 'voice-grade' codecs available. (like the
> GSM-codec running at 13 Kbps)

I guess my point what that with softphones, why not standardize on new audio
technologies which could deliver better voice (ever use a speaker phone in a
conference on stage?  People easily get puzzled and ask you to speak again).
With VoIP, people are sticking with G.711 and 64kbps since most of VoIP
carriers/portals are interested in voice recognition.  You are confusing
mobile phones requirements with my point, the broadband requests.

> For normal telephony-applications, there is no need for anything above 3.4
> Khz audio (OK, it would be nice, but people just want to talk to
> eachother; and 3.4 Khz will do just fine for that).

Voice recognition and TTS would work MUCH better trained @ 44khz (Vorbis)
instead of  8khz (G.711).

> VoIP 'like' IP NOT because of the fact that is can compress audio (it can
> do this over 'normal' point-to-point lines too); but for the 'any to any'
> connectivity provided by the IP-layer.
> So, going from (say) a 13 Kbps codec (like the GSM-codec) to a (say) a 10
> Kbps or a 32 Kbps codec (providing better quality) will is NOT the main
> interest for the VoIP-business.

Remember that Docsys and the cable-phone industry is still a year or two
away.. by then, 3G and cellphones will be also looking for better codecs
than GSM/G.723 can deliver.. if you don't believe me, just wait and see..

VoIP is an overloaded word.  In the Docsys/cable world, it is more than just
voice -- it is audio @ 64kbps.  MIPS is not too important since the
softphones typically have plenty of extra horsepower.

> > This is why MP3Pro and WMA are fighting it out for the 64kbps industry.
Did
> > anyone on this newsgroup know that?
>
> IMHO, 64 Kbps would be much more important in low-speed broadcasting (like
> the L-band satellite-radio system worldspace http://www.worldspace.com/);
> or as a competing codec to AAC+SBR used by DRM (digital radio over short,
> medium and long-wave; check out http://www.drm.org/).

I think 64kbps will be important for a long time to come.