[vorbis] Vorbis native Ripper-decoder-encoder

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Fri Aug 3 06:25:40 PDT 2001

Hello Claudio,

Friday, 03 August, 2001, 09:52:12, you wrote:

CB> Mhhh... Yes, I know is redundant to do (many programs do the same work),
CB> but I think is a must to make a ripper-decoder-encoder based on Ogg. Yes,
CB> encode a file in ogg from a mp3 is BAD, but the end-user WANT THIS. ¿How
CB> many post of people requesting a program that can make it we receive?

I don't think that mp3->ogg will be a feature of oggenc (or anything
that Xiph.org releases) because FhG has patents on mp3 decoders as
well. Unless Xiph.org decides to pay FhG $50.000 for the unlimited mp3
decoder patent-only license. :))

CB> So, in 2-3 clicks this not-audiophile can encode all his-her Mp3 in ogg and
CB> rip all his-her CDs in Ogg, with a nice interface plenty of fishes and Thors.
CB> I repeat, I think in the end-user and what he need. CD-EX is open-source,
CB> so we can get some of the code to start to develop....

I think it would be a waste of time creating a special ripper/enc/dec
for Ogg. All we need to do is to convince the authors/companies that
are developing these programs to add the support for Ogg Vorbis - that
shouldn't be too hard since Vorbis is free and thanks to its simple API
it is easy to implement.

--
Vorbis Xtreme | http://solair.eunet.yu/~aldov/
Ogg Vorbis is the free, open source alternative to MP3