[vorbis] Byte-width of a bitstream, cabbages, and other things

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ignacio at openservices.net
Wed Aug 29 01:59:29 PDT 2001

Sorry to bug you all, but I have some questions (I have beta4 at the moment;
don't ask):

I was reading through the VorbisFile API documentation because I'm writing
code to deal with Ogg Vorbis-encoded files, and nowhere did I see a function
or method for retrieving the byte-width of a stream. However, I did notice
that ov_read() takes a word size as a parameter. Am I correct in assuming
that:

1) The decoding width is independent of the encoding width,
2) 8-bit recordings can be decoded at 16 bits, and
3) There is no way to handle encoding more than 16 bits?

I realize point 3 is moot because a) no 24-bit audio playback devices have
significant market penetration yet, and b) human hearing can barely cope with
16-bit sound, but still I''m curious.

Also, has any more work been done on the VorbisEnc documentation? I can easily
dig through the oggenc source, but if there's more recent documentation...

While I have your attention, I keep getting a 0L from ov_info() as the
version. How should I read that? As "Codec Version 1" or "Codec Version 0"?

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams  <ignacio at openservices.net>