[vorbis] GCC bug affects playback?

Doug McNaught doug at wireboard.com
Fri Aug 17 11:01:03 PDT 2001

Hey Oggers,

I have a RedHat 7.1 machine at home, and a 6.2 system at work.

After seeing Monty's announcement of the GCC optimize bug, I compiled
my ogg-tools package at home with RedHat's 2.96 gcc (the errata
version, not the original buggy version).  I have no problems playing
encoded ogg files on my home machine--they sound great.

At work, I have the binary RPMs from vorbis.com, which I understand
were compiled with the buggy egcs 2.91.xx, and XMMS 1.2.5 from
xmms.org (also binary RPM).

When I play ogg files (encoded on my home machine, burned to CD) at
work, I get "skips"--it sounds like a few frames are just dropped from
the playback once in a while.  Very disconcerting.  It doesn't seem to
happen with mp3's played the same way (though I'm going to keep
testing).

Is this a known failure mode of playback libraries compiled with buggy
GCC?

The work box has an old CDROM and sound card (ISA SB AWE64) so it's
not impossible that the skips come from another link in the chain, but
MP3's do seem to play back OK so far.

If it were easy, I'd try to upgrade gcc and recompile the ogg stuff
and xmms, but RH hasn't seen fit to release an updated compiler for
6.2, so I'd have to build one from source.

-Doug

--
Free Dmitry Sklyarov!
http://www.freesklyarov.org/

We will return to our regularly scheduled signature shortly.