[vorbis] RC2 worse than RC1 and Beta4

M.r. Rage thobois at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 16 20:18:21 PDT 2001

 >> Both
 >> encoders SEEM to have a couple of dB bump at 10kHz.
 >Not quite. You'll see a slight bump in rc2 at about 11kHz due to
 >unnormalized point stereo. b4 did not perform coupling.

I did a little test to try to figure out what I'm hearing. Took a wav file
I made with 8kHz, 10kHz and 12kHz sine wave test tones (all the same
amplitude) and converted it to ogg 128k b4. Then I flipped the phase of the
ogg and added it to the original wav, figuring this would show the
artifacts induced in the compression. Looking at the resulting waveform,
10k was about twice the average peak amplitude of the 8k, with 12k about
halfway in between.