[vorbis] WSJ article

Kristoff Bonne kristoff.bonne at skypro.be
Thu Aug 16 06:52:08 PDT 2001

Greetings,

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
>    In my humble experience, journalists always work from a (mental)
> script. They know what sort of story they want to tell, and they look
> for details that re-enforce it, and they tend to ignore those that
> don't. That's how you can give a 1/2 hour interview and have one little
> off hand remark be the only thing that appears in print. A warning sign
> is (like in your interview) when they keep returning to a topic that
> appears irrelevant. They're probably trying to get a quote or fact to
> support the story they've already written in their heads.
(...)
The thing seams to be that journalist seams to think they are all
powerfull. Once their article is out, the word is out and there is very
little you can do about it. You have your name in writing in the newspaper
while their name is hidden after fater some small two-letter abbrivation
on the bottom of the article.
And what can you do about it? Compain in another newspaper how unjust you
where threathed? I doubt they will publish your story.
Sue them? I doubt it.

But, off course, there IS a way; and it's called the internet.
On your personal webpage, you publish an article to 'return the favor'.
In the title; you clearly mark the name of the newspaper and in the
sub-title the name of the journalist: something like 'journalist xxx from
the yyy newspaper uses good name of her newspaper to make up her own
fairytail story'. You also try to get hold of a nice picture of her.

Next you do, you publish the existance of your article in slashdot (and
the more 'culture' versions of it), and all 'alternative news-sources' to
get attention to your article.

And if they thread you, tell them 'if you don't like it, sue me'. (which
offcourse they will not do as this will just bring extra attention to the
matter).

And, after two months; you just add a small text of 5 lines telling she
feels sorry and promises not to do it again; and that is it.

Offcourse; that just my idea of doing things. (but then; I'm not always
the most tackfull kind of guy ;-) )

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

--
KB905-RIPE                                       Belgacom  IP networking
(c=be,a=rtt,p=belgacomgroup,s=Bonne,g=Kristoff)  Internet, IP and IP/VPN