[vorbis] WSJ article

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Wed Aug 15 17:33:47 PDT 2001

Monty wrote:

> > > Way to go, Monty!

> > Way to go???
> > I would say "What the hell are you thinking?".  Love
> > and family are the meaning of life, not a better
> > sounding audio file.

> The reporter (Mei Fong, feel free to write her and bitch) spent a good
> piece of our Ogg interview asking about my divorce (huh?), and I made

Hm. I'm a little confused ... on the one hand we have a pretty good
article from a technical viewpoint (especially compared to some other
articles I read so far), on the other hand we have those moronic
implications about "OGG --> bad for Monty's social life" that has a bad
aftertaste. It almost sounds FUDdy for me. With Monty being the one that
keeps OGG alive these days, people are lead to be uncertain about OGG's
future. With the idea of OGG ruining Monty's life, this is even logical
to think... Why should big companies use OGG technology within their
products if there's a certain possibility that OGG's running dry some
day? Since it seems that Mei Fong wanted that misinformation inside her
article at all cost, it appears that she's just stupid or funded by
someone. Now dropping into the easy anti Microsoft rant and paranoia, I
suggest that it is at least possible that for example MS wanted that to
be spread. "Stick with us, we're big, and WMA will live forever."
Well... while writing this I really have to smile about myself. :) But
why not consider this as theoretically possible.

Monty, whatever you see fit, you might consider a counterstatement. I
have no idea how serious this is... I might as well be a little
overenthusiastic and came to such thoughts just because I am trying to
sneak out of what I should be doing right now to make my move more easy
tomorrow. ;P

Moritz