[vorbis] WSJ article

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Aug 15 14:45:05 PDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 12:19:52PM -0700, Benjamin Flanders wrote:
> --- Craig Dickson <crdic at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:
> >
> > > Found this on usenet:
> > >
> > > August 13, 2001
> > >

> > > E-Business
> > > Inventors Release Free Alternative To MP3 Music,
> > but Cost Is High
> > > By MEI FONG
> > > Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
> > >

> > > SOMERVILLE, Mass. -- Christopher Montgomery wants
> > to be the Linus
> > > Torvalds of music [...]
> >
> > Way to go, Monty!
> >
> Way to go???
> I would say "What the hell are you thinking?".  Love
> and family are the meaning of life, not a better
> sounding audio file.

Forgive in advance, but this is a personal matter, so I'm dropping my
professionalism for a second.

Benjamin: You're a idiot.  Thank you for believing this little bit of
drivel from the WSJ.

You're also forgiven because you had no idea you were being an
idiot. I can understand how a paper with the reputation of the WSJ
would have instant credibility, but there are a number of fabricated
facts in the story, and my divorce being because of Ogg is one of
them.

The reporter (Mei Fong, feel free to write her and bitch) spent a good
piece of our Ogg interview asking about my divorce (huh?), and I made
it clear that Dana and I just never learned how to get along.  It was
one of theose relationships where we loved each other greatly, but
living together was constant Hell.  Ogg had nothign to do with it.

When the reporter didn't get the answer she wanted from *me*, she
tracked down my ex-wife and interviewed *her* about it.  Dana (my
wife) called me to warn me about it because it was clear the reporter was
after a specific answer to her questions.  Dana didn't give the answer
she wanted either.

So, the reporter just printed it anyway.

I called her to complain, and she had the nerve to think that I owed
the WSJ for the huge favor of publicity.  You might say any publicity
is good publicity, but I don't buy that crap.

For those counting: I also don't work on 'fold up tables from
Staples'.  I have a good desk.  She saw the desk.  She decided to
ignore that too.  It didn't fit the story.  She was going for the
'obsessed, antisocial, destitute programmer' angle whether I fit or not.

'kept me jobless'.  If I'm getting paid to work, that counts as a job,
dammit.  Is Xiph.Org somehow not considered serious enough by WSJ
standards to be a job?

Fume.  I expected more integrity from WSJ.

Monty