[vorbis] WSJ article

Benjamin Flanders ben_flanders at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 15 12:19:52 PDT 2001

--- Craig Dickson <crdic at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:
>
> > Found this on usenet:
> >
> > August 13, 2001
> >

> > E-Business
> > Inventors Release Free Alternative To MP3 Music,
> but Cost Is High
> > By MEI FONG
> > Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
> >

> > SOMERVILLE, Mass. -- Christopher Montgomery wants
> to be the Linus
> > Torvalds of music [...]
>
> Way to go, Monty!

Way to go???
I would say "What the hell are you thinking?".  Love
and family are the meaning of life, not a better
sounding audio file.

I'm sure that this project isn't the only reason for
the breaking up of his marriage (like it sounded in
the article) but if the article was even 10% correct
in this topic, then I hope Monty hasn't totally pushed
her away yet.  Marriage is rarely entered into
lightly, and it is worth fighting for even to the
exclusion of other parts of life.

I guess I feel guilty.  I eagerly waited for the next
release of ogg vorbis without lifting a finger to
help.  All the while Monty was losing his love, his
job, his social life to give this to me.

Maybe if more of us helped out with the project, it
can go smoother and Monty can have his life back.

Just my thoughts
ben

> Not a perfect article, but pretty decent, and surely
> good publicity.
> If only they hadn't confused RC2 with "final
> release"...
>
> Interesting, also, to learn a little more about
> Monty, who I previously
> knew next to nothing about.
>
> Craig

> 'vorbis-request at xiph.org'
> containing only the word 'unsubscribe' in the body.
> No subject is needed.
> Unsubscribe messages sent to the list will be
ignored/filtered.