[vorbis] RC2 on slashdot.org

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Mon Aug 13 19:45:45 PDT 2001

On Tuesday 14 August 2001 12:34, you wrote:
>  On 2001.08.13 22:52:45 +0200 Aleksandar Dovnikovic wrote:
>  > In case you missed it, RC2 is on slashdot.org too:
>  >
>  > http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/08/13/1811241
>
>  Oh great. Honestly, I see being Slashdotted more as a bad thing.
>  Now hundreds of trolls will spread nosense such as "Don't use it
>  because the name sucks!", "It's open source and not patented
>  so it must suck!" and start huge discussions (read: flamewars)
>  about how it sounds geek and why sounding geek is bad and
>  not what the users want...
>  And the funny thing is that there are people out there who actually
>  believes that crap!

I usually read everything rated 2 and above, sorted by rating. The last ogg
announcement got a lot of talk about the name and how it would go the way of
png. This time around the only posting about the name thing was from Monty
('neener neener' :-), and there was a couple of 'go the way of png' grizzles
at the bottom of the page. Usefully, I read Gian-Carlo Pascutto's note about
how this is a tuning release, it will still sound sucky, this is what to do
about it, before I saw anything else.

The slashdot pondlife tend to have the cognitive tools to figure out if
something sucks by empirical means rather than just believing lame hearsay.
The name complaint will seem as lame as a teenagers diary in six months. I
bet the very same people will go see 'Killer Klones from Outer Space', or
whatever the next Star wars film is called. The png thing will disappear
once 80% of sound software supports it out of the box, which is just about
the case now.

I want slashdot to keep posting ogg announcements. It gives us a great
opportunity to squash FUD and grandstand ogg's superior non-suckage.

John