[vorbis] Some pre-RC1 listening tests

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Tue Aug 7 15:13:03 PDT 2001

Hello everyone,

ff123 compiled Monty's branch of the RC1 encoder, see his post on
r3mix.net forum:
http://66.96.216.160/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=c&action=display&num=994299736&start=30

Anyway it only supports ~128kbps mode, so I did a quick listening
test with some files that bugged vorbis beta4.

grace.wav - the right channel is still a bit watery, and I think this
can be seen visually on spectral analysis as dropouts.

5551234.wav - oggdrop couldn't encode this file, it kept crashing.
This is the clip that exposes clipping artifacts.

udial.wav - this killer clip is almost transparent (there are no
horrible clipping artifacts anymore). The only artifact is in the
second string of tones - they sound a bit blurry/watery.

bassrumble.wav - sounds fine!

horn.wav - there's still a small amount of noise/fluttery added. Maybe
the bitrate is too low? (59kbps)

glitch.wav - high-frequency glitch in the left channel when the
cymbals are hit (at 0:03s). You can get this file from here:
http://solair.eunet.yu/~aldov/glitch.pac
(it is packed with LPAC).

--
Vorbis Xtreme | http://solair.eunet.yu/~aldov/
Ogg Vorbis is the free, open source alternative to MP3