[vorbis] Who'll Be Using Ogg Vorbis Instead Of MP3? @ /.

StarTux matthew at psychohorse.com
Mon Aug 6 12:31:09 PDT 2001

Benjamin Flanders wrote:
> Check out the discussion.
> http://slashdot.org/askslashdot/01/08/06/0415253.shtml
>

> A lot of what is on there I have seen come across this
> list.  The general feeling is that ogg won't overcome mp3.

<snip>

My take on that is this:

Arguably right now that is a correct asumption to make. MP3's are
everywhere, more than you can shake a stick at.

But...In a little while there is going to be a batle of the formats war
going on and yes I can see how MP3 will be much reduced as it will have
to compete with its own MP3pro improved format. Do you think the owners
of MP3 are going to sit idly by and let MP3pro die? People will say its
too widespread etc etc, but they said the same about Napster...They
could start wanting money for those encoders and drive it underground is
one option (is this not already happening?).

We know what WMA is, but there seems to be suspicion at this format.
However I have seen it on some music sites already.

My personal belief is two fold:

A) Increased user awareness, more people know about the benefits of Ogg
the more likely it will take off.

B) Get those files out onto those music sites. 1.0 needs to be out and
all the Windows codecs/plugins (I believe there is one for Windows Media
Player?).

C) Target radio stations too with Icecast, for example
www.classicfm.co.uk are broadcasting using windows asx format because it
got most (but not all) of its audience. Took me awhile to get them to
fix their site to just work with anything but IE (which is why I made
www.penguinfriendly.org)....

With regards to the Slashdot postings, most are from trolls, or people
with no clue about what they are posting about.

These are just my opinions, right or wrong.

Matt