[vorbis] Vorbis native Ripper-decoder-encoder

ndrw mchl grnbrg agreenbu at nyx.net
Sat Aug 4 10:39:48 PDT 2001

Hongli Lai <hongli at telekabel.nl> wrote:
: On 2001.08.04 18:50:26 +0200 ndrw mchl grnbrg wrote:
: > How would it save disk space to convert one lossy format to another?
: > Wouldn't they both consume the same amount of space?
:
: Didn't the FAQ say that Ogg Vorbis can have the same quality as the
: original MP3, but use less space?

This doesn't apply to transcoding. An Ogg file encoded from *the original
source* will have comparable quality to MP3 at a lower bitrate, but a
transcoded file will sound worse than the original MP3 at almost any bitrate
because the artifacts introduced by Ogg Vorbis will be *in addition to* the
existing artifacts of the MP3. In order to maintain the quality of the
original MP3, you would need to encode at a fairly transparent bitrate,
which would probably leave you with a *larger* file instead of a *smaller*
one. Really, the best thing that you can do with your existing MP3s that
you don't want to re-encode as Ogg Vorbis from the original sources is to
leave them as MP3s.

: So if I take a lower bitrate than the original MP3, I can save space.
: On my soundcard I can't hear any difference at all so I don't
: care what the audiophiles with their super l33t stereo towers think.

Personally, I can hear the difference using a 10-year-old sound blaster 16
through a pair of $10 Creative Labs speakers, but I suppose not everyone
has well-trained ears.

--
 agreenbu @ nyx . net                             andrew michael greenburg
                     http://www.nyx.net/~agreenbu/