[vorbis] A killer clip

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Fri Aug 3 00:39:56 PDT 2001

Hello Hongli,

Thursday, 02 August, 2001, 20:45:57, you wrote:

HL> Many people are looking for a free MP3 encoder, and so they found LAME.
HL> LAME's popularity is because of MP3's popularity.

LAME is popular alright, but it is still being used by a rather small
percentage of MP3 people. Back in the '80-ties people who used
computers were technically proficient, but nowadays they are a
minority. So most people use MP3 programs that are easy to use and
since many people don't pay much attention to quality, they won't use
LAME - it's command line based with myriads of options - yes they
could use some frontend like RazorLAME but still you have to manually
fix everything... Compare this to, for example, Audio Catalyst or
Musicmatch Jukebox (the later one is free) - insert the CD and MP3s
are only 2-3 mouse clicks away.

That's why I also think it is important to get Vorbis out in those
kind of programs since they are very easy to use.

--
Vorbis Xtreme | http://solair.eunet.yu/~aldov/
Ogg Vorbis is the free, open source alternative to MP3