[vorbis] A killer clip

Bacchus 13 bacchus13 at zdnetonebox.com
Thu Aug 2 10:47:58 PDT 2001

---- On Tue 31 Jul 2001 - 18:16:37 PDT, "Forever shall I be." <zinx at magenet.net>
wrote:
FSI> As for lame, the lowpass filter is killing lame.. you can
FSI> encode the sample with -h -k, and it will sound ok (note that
FSI> lame does understand where the min and max values are)

Yes, from my own experience, in higher quality option, simply adding
-b option to VBR seems to work better than adding lowpass filter.

FSI> Hopefully Monty will make the vorbis encoder understand where
FSI> the min/max values are, but only time will tell :)

In fact, shouldn't they waste the heritage of LAME, should they?  LAME
earned its popularity by its own ability rather than advertisements.
 As long as the next version of Vorbis can prove to be worth waiting,
it will defeat formats by big-mouthed patent companies.  Understand open
source movements and defeat cheaters in marketing departments.

P.S.

Peter's Winamp plug-in 1.13b seems to be out now at http://www.blorp.com/~peter/zips/.
 Let's give it a try and report if there is something strange at all.
 ;-)