[vorbis] vorbis plugin

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Apr 27 13:31:49 PDT 2001

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 04:00:22PM -0500, Peter Sch?ller wrote:

> > education, where they end up using wav format for their audio, thereby
> > bloating the size of the application (the last project I looked into was
> > 30 CDs long). Vorbis as a plug-in for WM Player or Real Player would
> > help.
>
> But isn't this automatically solved if it's installed as a system-wide
> "codec"? Any application using DirectSound (or whatever - I'm not a Windows
> developer) will then automatically work with it...
>
> I think I asked about the existence of a codec version of ogg vobris, but I
> don't think my message made it to the list (if it did, sorry to be re-asking
> :)).

There are a number of... inflexibilites... in the big system codec
frameworks that make a Vorbis implementation challenging.  QuickTime,
for example, could not handle VBR of any sort until the most recent
release.  An ACM codec, for example, must return audio for every packet
processed, something else Vorbis does not do.

Implementations are moving forward despite these issues, but they
require dedicated developers that are familiar with the target system
and also stick with the project past the '50% and barely running' to
the '100% ready, ship it' stage.

Monty