[vorbis] Multi-track vorbis files

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Tue Apr 24 01:37:53 PDT 2001

At 05:02 PM 4/23/01 -0500, you wrote:
>How would I go about creating a vorbis file with more than two tracks?  How
>difficult would it be to create, say, a file that had a left, right and bass
>track?  Or even a vorbis file that had all the tracks available in an ac3
>file?

Oggenc supports n-channel wav files, if you can create them (note: as far
as I know, this has never been tested for n > 2. I've never tested it, but
it should work).

However, I doubt any of the widely used players support multichannel output.

Also, there is no way (yet) of specifying what each track is. That's
something that is needed, but nobody has done it yet. For a specific
purpose, however, you could just give your own definition of what each
channel does, and write a custom player for that.

Michael