[vorbis] Multi-track vorbis files

rillian at telus.net rillian at telus.net
Mon Apr 23 15:47:18 PDT 2001

On Monday, April 23, 2001, at 03:02 , Nathaniel wrote:

> How would I go about creating a vorbis file with more than two tracks?
> How
> difficult would it be to create, say, a file that had a left, right and
> bass
> track?  Or even a vorbis file that had all the tracks available in an
> ac3
> file?

vorbis currently compresses each channel independently, and can handle
arb. numbers of channels, I believe. Certainly some tests have been done
with four channel audio. You should be able to access this just by
handing the encoder a multi-track .wav file. Or if you're writing your
own software, just set the proper number of channels and take care of
interleaving the samples.

There's no real way to say what channel is what right now. We've talked
about surround formats in the past, and there's a general plan to
support them and a way of identifying things, but they're both looking a
ways off unless someone (you?) comes forward to work on a
design/implementation.

Hope that's helpful,
  -ralph