[vorbis] Windows XP and MP3

Jack Moffitt jack at icecast.org
Thu Apr 12 20:40:38 PDT 2001

> ok, so the tech guy @ sony, creative labs, etc. gets a nice
> email from say, one hundred individuals asking for vorbis
> support.
> so he / she surfs over to vorbis.com and discovers that the
> encoder is beta4 with (afaik) no set release date for v1.0.
> any good libraries so supporting the format is basically a cut /
> paste job?  the anwer is no judging from previous posts...
> at least the format has been stabilized...

beta4 is production quality code.  It's being used by many companies.

What do you mean 'basically a cut / paste job'?  There's a Win32 based
SDK there, with nearly completely documentation. There are libaries and
docs for debian and redhat, and we'll be adding more support in the
future.

it's hardly a cut and paste job.  There's even clear cut example code,
more examples in the docs, and even more when you consider that all the
vorbis tools we have are also open source.

The 'format' is stabalized.  What's in beta is the reference
implementation.  This should all be addressed in the FAQ, and that FAQ
hasn't changed much over the last year.

jack.