OT: long - Replacing CD's? was RE: [vorbis] New type of copy-prot ected audio CDs are coming...

Kenji Rikitake kenji at k2r.org
Sat Apr 7 21:04:21 PDT 2001

In the message <Pine.LNX.4.30.0104052148120.23139-100000 at anime.net>
at Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 09:50:06PM -0700,
Dan Hollis <goemon at anime.net> writes:
> On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Geoff Shang wrote:
> > I'd be interested to know how much music gets sold on minidisc (i.e. how
> > many sell as opposed to how much is available).

I've seen an announcement of Tower Records shop in Umeda (northern
downtown district of Osaka, the second largest city in Japan) that the
shop has discontinued selling pre-recorded(-and-not-rewritable) MDs
(I guess only Sony Music Entertainment involved in the distribution).
So I suspect sooner or later pre-recorded MD production will be
terminated.

> Not much. In japan it's popular to rent CDs from rental stores (a concept
> unheard of in the US) and copy them to minidisc.

Renting CDs for business are legal after the discs'
prohibited-for-rental period is expired (mostly set to one or two years
after the official release date).

// Kenji Rikitake, Toyonaka City, Osaka, JAPAN