[vorbis] dsp | sox | oggenc

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Tue Apr 17 05:57:17 PDT 2001

>>wav files can't be more than 2 GB in size. So if the 'file' that you're
>>streaming would be more than this, you can't use wav.
>
>this cannot be the reason. first i'm not using a file, i'm piping from
>the soundcard to sox and from sox to oggenc. live streaming works under
>windows with my tcl script and oggenc encodes for days. but i asume
>that the wav header from my tcl script and that from sox are different.

Yes, but wav is a file format, and the restriction is in the format, not in
the filesystem holding the file. The problem is that the file format
includes the length (in bytes) of the audio section of the file - and the
size is limited to a 32 bit number. Apparently the limit is 4 GB, not 2,
but the problem remains. oggenc might (due to minor bugs) be limited to 2
GB, I'm not sure (if anyone cares to check, I'll fix it if so).

>does someone know exactly what will happen if the time which was
>defined in the wav header is exceeded. does oggenc stop encoding?

Yes, it has to. However, if the length of the audio section is set to zero,
it'll completely ignore it. That's a way to circumvent the wav size
restrictions, but it won't work with all (or even most) apps - it's just
that oggenc happens to do something useful there for your case. Maybe your
script does that (it'll break many programs, which is why sox does it
differently).

Michael