OT: long - Replacing CD's? was RE: [vorbis] New type of copy-prot ected audio CDs are coming...

Beni Cherniavsky scben at techst02.technion.ac.il
Sun Apr 15 06:27:34 PDT 2001

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, dongoodman wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, ndrw mchl grnbrg wrote:
>
> > fungus <spam at egg.chips.and.spam.com> wrote:
> > :
> > : Recording to minidisks is still a pain as well,
> > : they work like an analogue tape recorder - press
> > : record then play your musinc into them. MP3 players
> > : can be 100% controlled by your computer desktop and
> > : have track info, playlists, etc.
> >
> > Some people have analog sources that they want to record.
>
> i've ripped a few tapes to ogg vorbis by running the headphone
> out of my stereo to the line-in on my sound card and firing up
> goldwave...a little more time consuming to be sure, but it only
> has to be done once =)
> sound quality is...well, about that of the tape itself.
> further, i suspect (if i wished to take a hit in the quality dep't) that
> I could use the 2x dub speed, and sample at 88.2kHz to get it twice as
> fast...but i haven't tried that yet.

I've got almost _all_ of my music collection (soon to reach 20 hours!)
exactly this way: I record radio programs, preferably FM, sometimes AM, to
a tape and then record the songs I like to the computer.  I also recorded
a couple of things (like songs from the Eurovision) from a VCR this way.
Since I got a larger HD I usually record the whole tape to a .wav in the
background while I do other things with the computer and then select the
songs I like in GoldWave (this way I have random access ;-).

So this is possible.  The quality is not CD but the a big audience of my
music collection are my parents who listen in the car to tapes I make from
this collection (and some friends who get perically such tapes as
presents ;-)

P.S. : Is it legal to record from the radio?  From TV?  (Not that I would
change my practice, buying CD s just doesn't work - I usually like <30%
from the content of any given CD).  Besides it's fun to collect the songs,
sometimes hunting the radio for a specific song I want, etc.

PS 2: Where do you get 88.2 KHz capable sound card?  Is there wide support
for such a sample rate in programs?  I had no idea such a thing existed.

--
Beni Cherniavsky <cben at crosswinds.net>
                 (also scben at t2,cben at tx in Technion)

10001110111100111100001001010 m/s