[vorbis] Windows XP and MP3

Victoria E. Lease vlease at floofy-skirts.org
Thu Apr 12 17:44:20 PDT 2001

[Monty]
> I doubt Mr. farber is arguing this is a *good* thing, just that it's
> the way things are (whether we like it or not).  In the context of
> mass-consumerism, I fear he's right.

If it weren't true, would Vorbis be where it is today? Would it even
be necessary?

If nothing else, I've really loved the sheer *accessibility* of
Vorbis. It's not just an experimental codec that you can get source
to, compile, and use cryptic commands to compress and decompress
files... one can hand ogg files to friends, and if they can't play
them, it's pretty trivial to hook them up with a plugin for most
players.

It's not just about providing alternatives... it's about providing
*accessible* alternatives... now if only we can get ogg into Rio
firmware and othersuch... ;)

But I babble...