[vorbis] Fixed-point Vorbis decoder

Ralph Giles giles at snow.ashlu.bc.ca
Sun Sep 17 11:33:20 PDT 2000

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Rob Leslie wrote:

> I've been considering the possibility of writing a similar fixed-point
> decoding library for Ogg Vorbis. Unfortunately, every time I've looked for
> Vorbis decoding specifications, I have found them incomplete. :-(
>
> I'd rather not try to reverse-engineer specifications from the existing Vorbis
> code, so I'd like to know, is there any complete specification of the format
> and decoding algorithm, or even a rough draft of one with enough information
> to implement a decoder from scratch?

There isn't any documentation. I can only offer some starting places. :-(

Monty wrote a nice high-level technical summary for his slashdot interview
last month: http://slashdot.org/features/00/08/14/1034209.shtml

Erik Kruus has an annotated encoder page on how things work which
should help a great deal in reading the source code:

http://surf.chimie.uqam.ca/~kruus/vorbis/encoder/index.html

> If not, is there anyone at Xiphophorus willing to work with me to create one
> (a specification, a new decoder implementation, or both)?

There are allegedly some folks working on documentation, but I've
never heard from them or seen their work. Try Kim, Emily, or Jack at
iCast, icecast.org, or xiph.org if you want to hunt for details.

Hope that helps,
 -ralph

giles at ashlu.bc.ca