[vorbis] Lossless video codec

Chrissy and Raul chrissyandraul at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 14 08:50:04 PDT 2000

MJPEG collects individual frames as if there were not related to each other.
  That is the same for I-only MPEG.  This is useful, but not essential to
editing (clever access to P and B frames can be done, including on-the-fly
editing).  C-Cube has solutions for IBP single-frame editing.

For a lossless video compressor we can exploit relationships between pixels
and do run-length coding plus huffman coding.  The relationships and
potential lossless compression techniques are the following:

Intra Frame
1) Horizontal run-length coding
2) Vertical run-length coding
3) Differential horizontal coding
4) Differential vertical coding
5) 2D run-length coding (zig-zag? spiral?)
6) 2D differential coding (zig-zag? spiral?)

Inter Frame
7) Motion estimation with skipping and differential coding.  Most images can
be predicted from its predecessors and, if available, from its successors.

MPEG does reference frames and then predicted frames.  The reference frames
are coded completely, the predicted frames only code differences between the
reconstructed reference frame and the predicted frame.  DCT coding, without
throwing away coefficients can reduce information content.  Again, the trick
here is not to step on any patents.

Has anybody put together a video compression patent minefield?
Is Huffman coding patent-free?  Is DCT patent free?

RAUL LOPEZ