[vorbis] Video codec

kcarnold at yahoo.com kcarnold at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 7 12:30:38 PDT 2000

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 09:03:51AM -0700, Ralph Giles wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Chrissy and Raul wrote:
>
> > Any input on desired resolutions, bitrates, color resolution (color
> > subsampling), frame rates, etc?
>
> How about square pixels and arbitrary resolutions/framerates? No encoding
> letterbox bars, pulldown is the player's responsibility. Let's put the
> baggage of the analog past in the encoders/players, not in the format.

Yes, remember that the US and lots of other countries are moving to digital
television.

<pipe dream>
Wouldn't it be cool if an Ogg video codec provided enough improvement in
compression over whatever MPEG current DTV uses (MPEG2? Think so...) that
the US would switch standards? By the time the COFDM vs. 8VSB issue is
played out, maybe we can have something... (I am personally involved in that
issue; talk to me if you don't have a clue (but want one).)

Kenneth