[vorbis] Clipping problem

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sun Sep 3 11:28:50 PDT 2000

> Hi.
>
> Today most modern CDs are recorded using maximum volume (so that it grabs
> more of your attention when the song is being played on the radio - even
> though this destroys the dynamic range). Anyway lossy audio codecs can
> introduce clipping - audio distortion when the sound hits maximum peak
> value, so I thought I should ask if Vorbis has this solved?

I will be adding smarts to the encoder to avoid clipping problems (and it's
possible to soft-clip in the decoder) but at the moment, overdriving the audio
will clip in vorbis like everything else.  Note however that in libvorbis, all
audio is flot until the decoder (or vorbisfile) converts it to integer.  So
you do have the unclipped data...

Monty