[vorbis] Video codec

Ralph Giles giles at snow.ashlu.bc.ca
Sun Sep 10 11:57:25 PDT 2000

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Sean Wieland wrote:

> Well, I was thinking more along the lines of reasonable storage
> considerations.  At least 5GB per DVD is a bit harsh.  Whereas .5GB per
> OGG-Video means plenty of room on one of those new 80GB hard drives for
> a good-sized movie collection in addition to a good-sized CD collection,
> all of the regular apps, games, etc.

Alright, I see what you mean. I just wanted to be clear that DVD-video is
already lossily compressed; what you were asking for was not "Oh look, I
can fit my CD collection in 1/10th the space using Vorbis" but "Oh look, I
can fit my mp3 collection in 1/10th the space using Vorbis *and*
downsampling to 11kHz mono".

> I'm talking about 352x240 resolution VHS-quality streaming video at
> about 100kbps.
> I agree that DVD level resolution and quality without broadband would be
> extremely difficult (as in near impossible).  Although DVD resolution
> and quality at about 1Mbps for archive on CD would be nice.

I still think this is overly optimistic. None of the current codecs come
close to VHS quality at 100kbps. But we'll see. ;-)

 -r