[vorbis] What's in a name

Thomas Illingworth tom.Illingworth at ibase.com
Thu Sep 7 02:01:34 PDT 2000

explanation taken from
http://music.zdnet.com/misc/lowdown/081500_oggvorbis.html

What does the name "Ogg Vorbis" mean?
First, Vorbis was taken from a character of an ''exquisitor'' in the book
"Small Gods," a title in a series of Terry Pratchett fantasy novels.
Formally, Vorbis is the name for the specific audio compression scheme used
to create Ogg Vorbis files. It is ultimately part of the Ogg Vorbis CODEC
project (a branch of the overarching, open-multimedia Ogg project), which is
headed by Christopher Montgomery and his team.