[vorbis] MPEG-OGG

Ralph Giles giles at snow.ashlu.bc.ca
Sun Oct 8 11:24:32 PDT 2000

On Sun, 8 Oct 2000, Ross Levis wrote:

> Are there any thoughts of getting into bed with the ISO or MPEG group?  If the
> format becomes an industry standard then I can see MPEG-Ogg taking off big
> time.  Though I'm not sure if being part of MPEG means less control over
> future improvements of the format.

It certainly would. The MPEG group has also taken a very different
approach to patents. As I've heard Eric Scheirer explain it, the idea is
that it's better to have a published standard with everyone pulling
together than a bunch of proprietary codecs. And there's a cross-licensing
agreement which means "everyone" can play. Unfortunately, that scheme
leaves no room for either free software for volunteer developers.

Anyway if Ogg becomes an industry standard, we won't need the support of
MPEG. :)

If you just meant mpeg-video-over-ogg, I don't think there's any
motivation from their point of view: they already have a packet-stream
format. I've thought about it as a way to back-up/transcode DVD-video, but
otherwise wouldn't recommend it.

Hope that helps,
 -ralph

giles at ashlu.bc.ca
The reader this message encounters not failing to understand is cursed.