[vorbis] Patent troubles...

Adam Ottley aco907 at mail.usask.ca
Fri Oct 6 09:23:58 PDT 2000

Aleksandar Dovnikovic wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> Reading all this posts about patent issues, I thought of something:
> if, by some wild chance FhG (or some other audio company) manages
> to prove in court that vorbis is breaking their patent rights, you could
> do something like LAME developers did: release only source code and
> let people do the compiling so that only users that are living in countries
> where patents on algorithms are valid should pay the licenses. So that
> future of vorbis cannot be threatened in any way...

Releasing only source would get FhG off Vorbis' back, but there'd have
to be some rogue person out there releasing Windows binaries for the
sake of getting more people to use it.  I never would've discovered how
much better LAME was if it wasn't for Dmitri Kutsanov putting out those
precompiled LAME binaries.  I compile it myself now that I use Linux
more often, but I don't think most Windows users want to go download
Mingw or DJGPP and compile it all themselves.